Wednesday 19 September 2012

Liefmans Goudenband

Liefmans Goudenband describes itself on the label as 'one of the world's most complex beers, an aged strong Belgian Brown Ale', its 8% abv in a caged corked unmarked bottle wrapped in paper. I couldn't see anyway of dating this bottle.

I was surprised how dark it was, sitting mysteriously in the glass hugging the curves.
The aroma had several things going on, I found myself sniffing it longer than I was spending drinking it! It was sour and dry, there was a cider element, certainly sharp apples. There was a sharp deep sweetness like cider vinegar, marmite and a strong deep metallic edge. There was probably loads more that I wasn't getting too.

When I got round to drinking it, there was light carbonation, dry and dusty, cherries, not too sour actually, a medium body, something that reminded me of coke too. I found it more acidic as time went on.

A seriously good beer, as they say 'complex', so much happening in the glass that makes it enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment