Sunday 5 August 2012

Grafenwalder Weissbier

So this will be a quick review (because i've sunk a few).

Currently on offer in Lidl is a 5 litre mini keg from Grafenwalder, with a Weissbier of 5% abv, only £11.99.

Whilst driving home after buying it I thought 'where the hell am i going to chill this??!!'  Certainly wont fit in the fridge!

In the end I popped it in the freezer for a short while to bring down its temperature and then let it stand for a while. Easy to use instructions on the side, after pouring a half pint of froth, a cloudy pint emerged.

A good thick head on the beer, good colour, but its very very light on aroma and flavour. Its saved a little by having an okay body, its not to light or watery which was a worry when you taste it. Some banana and vanilla but only just a bit. A very small bit.
There is an underlying sweetness but you struggle to pick out the spice and flavours you would expect with a quality weissbier.

Is is a good Weissbeir? No.
Is it a bad Weissbeir? Umm, well its very drinkable, and if given this at a BBQ over a bottle of generic lager I'd take it, but compared to any other you can buy at Tesco currently (other supermarkets are available!) then no, its not a good one.
But I will have no problem sitting down and finishing this keg, and I'm not thinking that I wasted money to be honest.

9 comments:

  1. Hey, my try and pick one of those up if we ever get the weather for a BBQ!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since writing it I've been thinking the same thing, pop one in the shed and bring it out if we get a day of sun or invited to the neighbours.

    As I say, its not brilliant by any stretch, and if planning ahead you could spend £12 much more wisely, but as a last minute retrieval from the shed, it'll do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. being a weissbeir enthusiast for exactly 40 years i find it difficult to find it in kegs in london only occasionally in lidl.its now 11.99 compared to 8.99 some time back.yes its not a top of the range weiss,but i have often in the past treated w/b somewhat as a delicacy strictly drank with lemon and limes.i therefore find grafenwalder weiss matches our casual indoor drinking here so lets say instead of having a fosters or a stella you are having a weissbeer which suits me perfectly.yes i wish i could find the kegs more often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny enough I passed a lidl 3 days ago and popped in, they currently have in mini kegs not only the weissbier but the pilsner also. Still 11.99 both, and now in the shed as I know a bbq coming up next month

      Delete
  4. Usually I get the Frnaziskaner cans (0.5l) from our supermarket at 1.10 euro. That weizen I like a lot and well chilled, imho a rather good beer. Today I found' this Grafenwalder Weissbier at Lidl for only 0.69 cents...
    I am very curious about the taste. The Dutch imitations if the Weizen I find pretty bad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. try HEFE weissbeir from Grafenwalder, its much better beer than Wiessbier. There is difference

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, if I see it I certainly will try it

      Delete